PPCA Constitution and Bylaws
This organization shall be known as the Portuguese Podengo Club of America. Its membership shall be made up of dedicated Portuguese Podengo enthusiasts of the United States, or any person duly elected to membership.
The purpose of the Portuguese Podengo Club of America is to encourage and promote quality in the breeding of purebred Portuguese Podengos in accordance with the UKC standard. PPCA brings together Portuguese Podengo aficionados who share the pursuits of raising, training, breeding, hunting, and competing and are committed to stimulating interest in competitive public showings of Portuguese Podengos and developing and protecting the Breed. To fulfill this Article, we promise:
- To hold licensed UKC events that will be run in accordance with the rules, policies and procedures of the United Kennel Club.
- To dismiss from our membership without hesitation those who violate these by-laws and the principles of good sportsmanship and fair and honest conduct.
- To promote the qualities of the breed to the members and general public through communications, publications, educational seminars, and other positive approaches.
The PPCA will adhere to all UKC rules and regulations. All exhibits will be judged solely against the UKC breed standard. All UKC performance equipment must meet UKC requirements before the Club may hold performance events. The Club will not hold any other registry’s events on the same day/location as that of a UKC event—without prior approval from UKC.
We reserve the right to refuse entry in our competitions, as well as membership in the Club, to any individual, at the discretion of the Board of Directors and members. However, no person shall be refused entry or membership on a basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, or national origin. The method of obtaining membership in this Club shall be as follows:
- Be sponsored by a member in good standing, and supply the following information: Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number, E-Mail Address, and Occupation
- Application shall be in writing to the Treasurer, accompanied by payment of dues.
- Once application and dues are received by the Treasurer, applicant will be notified that their membership has been accepted.
- No applicant will be accepted for membership if he or she has been convicted of a felony, unless specifically approved by a majority vote of the Board and members.
The following shall be conditions of continuing membership:
- The attendance of and participation in all Club activities and shows/events to the satisfaction of the Board. However, this attendance clause shall be waived due to illness, disability, conflict with employment, excessive distance, or bona-fide previous commitments.
- Any member known to: promote, support, raise dogs for fighting; knowingly sell, give, or trade dogs that will be used for fighting; condone or be associated with the facing off, game testing, rolling or pitting of dogs will have their membership automatically revoked. The member shall also be reported to United Kennel Club as well.
The Officers and Board of Directors shall be elected every two years, in March of odd-numbered years. Any Officer or Board member may succeed him- or herself. All elections shall be by secret ballot and decided by a simple majority. The officers and their respective duties shall be as follows and this Article shall be used to govern the Officers of the Club:
- PRESIDENT: shall preside at all meetings and conduct good order and discipline.
- VICE-PRESIDENT: shall assist the president in the discharge of his/her duties, and will preside in his absence.
- SECRETARY: shall keep an accurate record of all meetings and events. Shall preside in the absence of the president and vice-president. The secretary will send into the United Kennel Club by December 31 of each year the updated officers list and a current membership list of all members in good standing with the club.
- TREASURER: shall keep an accurate account of funds received and spent, and shall be responsible for the proper collection and distribution of all funds and accounts, under the direction of the Board. Shall preside in the absence of the other elected officers. The checks on the account of this club shall be signed by the Treasurer or the President. The books and accounts of the Treasurer shall be audited annually, by a committee appointed by the President.
The Board of Directors of this Club shall be nine (9) in number, including the four officers. The past president of the Board shall serve as a non-voting member.
The dues of this Club shall be decided upon by the Board and shall be due and payable on January 1st of each year. Any member who has not paid their dues by January 30th shall be dropped from the rolls. However, if any member is in financial distress, his dues may be waived by a majority vote of the Board, on a case-by-case basis.
The meetings of this Club shall be held at its annual Specialty and at other events throughout the year.
There will be an annual meeting of this club, on a date and location determined by the Board, normally in conjunction with a Specialty.
- Members shall conduct themselves as ladies/gentlemen at all Club functions.
- Absolutely no alcoholic beverages, firearms, or illegal drugs will be allowed on the grounds or in the buildings while participating in any public club or licensed events.
- These By-Laws will be sent to every applicant before being accepted into membership, and they will acknowledge they have read the By-Laws as part of their application for membership.
- All United Kennel Club Policies will be strictly adhered to during all UKC events.
- Members shall conduct themselves in an honest and sportsman-like manner at all meetings and events.
- The Board of Directors of the Portuguese Podengo Club of America shall have the inherent right and power to dismiss ANY member who is continually disruptive to the detriment of the orderly conduct of Club business, meetings and events.
- The Board of Directors shall serve as the nomination committee for all offices, board vacancies, and award recipients; however any member in good standing may nominate themselves for office or board membership via notification of the Secretary within five days of the announcement by the Board of their candidates for officers and board members, and such names shall be added by the Secretary to the ballot sent to members.
- Any individual suspended by the United Kennel Club shall automatically be suspended from the PPCA as well.
- These By-Laws may be amended as deemed necessary by the Officers/Board and must be approved by a simple majority of the members present. Notice of a proposed change must be in writing, and the membership properly notified. UKC must be notified in writing. All changes to By-Laws must be approved by UKC before becoming active.